When the ink dries, we'll have another bastard's peace.

Monday, June 14, 2010

Long is the way and hard, that out of hell leads up to light

Windswept is on the shelf. Indefinitely. This is a band breaking up. We are all still friends. Who knows what the future holds. It was time. Etc.

I've got a side-project. It's a novel about friends and the lottery. It's somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1000 words long right now, although the bulk of it is written on Loto Quebec printouts and needs to be typed up, and what has been written is a bit from all over in the narrative, cobbled willy-nilly from flashes of inspiration while at work.

Anyway, it's less ambitious, tighter, and I can see the whole of it in my mind much better than I could see Windswept when I was starting out. I loved that old thing but it wasn't built on a strong foundation. I guess I hope I'll have the energy and the guts to come back to it someday. But right now it feels like all the other novels that I started and didn't finish back in the day, through NaNoWriMo. Good in places but irreparably flawed and incapable of making it out into the world on its own two (whatever) legs.

New novel, code-titled J.H.W.H., is less frilly, less poetic. It's about a story. I'm going to try to contain my tendencies to go off ridiculously. It's a first person narrative, which I'm pretty new at, but the character is pretty there in my mind so I'm not too worried. Anyway we'll see how it all goes.

So that's that. Windswept was getting harder and harder to fly. I think I have a good chance with this new story.

So out with the thinning wings and in with the winning things.

No comments: